Thursday 2 October 2008

DOUG PARKINSON - 'I'll Be Around'

Boomp3.com
Artist: Doug Parkinson & The Southern Star Band

Track: I’ll Be Around
Label: Southern Star Records
Catalog#: K7339
Format: Vinyl, 7”
Released: 1978
Country: Australia
Credits: Co-written by Thom Bell and Phil Hurtt

Bit of a leftfield rarity here, but I just had to champion Doug Parkinson's Northern Soul cover of The (Detroit) Spinners 1972 classic, 'I’ll Be Around'. I can’t think of many (or any) credible Australian ‘soul’ artists (apart from maybe Rolf, Jason, Kylie, Danni, Natalie, Craig, Holly or Peter), so my hat goes off to you Doug.

Regarded in Australia as one of the hottest ensembles of its day, the relatively short-lived Southern Star Band played a smooth but powerful blend of soul, funk, jazz-rock and R&B. ‘I'll Be Around’ charted nationally (#22 in March, ‘78) and remains a favourite track for many Parko fans. The band also supported Bob Marley & The Wailers on their Australian tour.

Check www.dougparkinson.com I’ll be discussing Otis Gayle’s version of the same track in the reggae section soon.

No comments: