Wednesday 15 October 2008

DISCO/BOOGIE/NU-DISCO

Right, some people love disco, some people hate disco. I think I used to be a bit of a disco hater, purely because I’ve been torturously subjected to the same old commercial disco records, time and time again, at parties and weddings. Come on, you know what I mean… pissed up individuals that know nothing about music, can’t dance and “just want to hear something they know” (coz it makes them feel safe and secure in their own little comfort zones). It’s like a bad disco 'Groundhog Day' moment that never seems to go away. The main culprits are; The Jacksons – 'Blame It On The Boogie', Abba – 'Dancing Queen', The Bee Gees – 'Stayin’ Alive', The Village People – 'YMCA', Rose Royce – 'Car Wash', Gloria Gaynor - 'I Will Survive', Chaka Khan – 'I’m Every Woman'… need I go on. (If I’ve missed anything, please tell me).

Thus, I can partially understand why US shock jock, Steve Dahl, orchestrated a very public demonstration against disco in 1979 (now known as The Day Disco Died) – but clearly Dahl took it to extremes… an act more akin to something you’d expect to see in Nazi Germany in the late 1930’s and early 40’s Vs America in the 1970’s.

Steve Dahl’s Disco Demolition – The Day Disco Died



Now, I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently… was it that Dahl was demonstrating against the commercial marketing of shit disco (at the expense of other forms of music) or was it that Dahl just didn’t know any hot disco records? Whatever the story, as a Knight of The Round Tables, I aim to prove that there are some amazing disco records out there and hopefully convert a few of you non-believers. In fact, right now we’re in the middle of a Nu Disco explosion, with some really exciting music floating around (and a f*ck load of dance floor re-edits). Feel free to take a peek in the Disco/Boogie/Nu–Disco section.

Oh, and by the way… next time you hit the floor, please bring these moves to the party;


No comments: